Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Single ladies - Should I buy a house when I am still single?

This is an interesting question. In my circle of friends, I have quite a divided group. On one camp are the independent, long term thinking ladies who will do everything for herself regardless whether she has a boyfriend or not. Therefore when the time is right, when she has the money to buy a property for herself, she will do so. However, on the other camp are the ones who also think of themselves but they don’t want to commit to buy a property as they are still waiting for the MAN to do this job. They rather spend on themselves and let the guy do the heavy stuff of buying a house!

Which camp are you on?

Let’s start with the Independent Camp. My Money is My Money

Their reasons for investing in their own home

1) I am 30, still staying with my parents!!! Ouch!!!
2) If not, I will be spending all my monies on clothers, perfumes, shoes, bags, cosmetics anyway etc
3) If I don’t get married, at least I still have a house
4) If I get married, I can stay in his house and make money from renting out mine!


The so called Not so Independent Camp (Your Money is My Money)

Their motto – It is the man’s job to buy a house!!

Their excuse for not investing in their own home property.

1) I am waiting for “my dream man” (whether he has appeared or not) to buy our “dream home”
2) Guys will be too intimidated if I seemed to independent
3) Too much of a hassle to decide where to stay (his place or my place) when we get married
4) I love my mom’s cooking and she washes and irons my clothes. Oh yeah! My dad washes and fixes my car too! :)

So what do you think? If you are a single lady and you have the means to invest your own home, would you do it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In these economic times, maybe I should just wait for my man to do it :)