Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Someone younger.....

Ladies - would you marry someone younger than you?
I guess most would say yes, it's alright. I guess 80%-90%.

Next question - how many years difference is ok?
I guess most would say 1-2 years. No big deal.

Next question - What about 3 yrs?
Still ok I guess.

Next question - What about 5 yrs?
Errr....depends on mature the guy is. Still possible

Next question - What about 8-10 yrs?
Huh...so big difference ah. If I am 30 yrs old, he is only early 20s - can ah??? most likely not.

Next question - What if 15 years and above?
Oh dear.......that's a BIG difference. What would we talk about? different generation. He could be my son?!??!! I don't think so.

It does happen. In real life and even in Hollywood. Best example that we all know of is Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher. Demi was 42 and Ashton 27 when they got married in 2005. Hold on, bring out the calculator...ah ha..15 years difference.

I think it takes a lot of guts from both the man and the woman to marry someone with a huge age gap especially if the woman is older. Firstly, the woman need to feel very secure of herself, eradicate the fears of aging, fear that he will no longer be interested in her old body, fear of looking like his mother etc etc. For him, it would be teasing from friends, temptations from younger women etc.

But I believe that true love will prevail and it will hold no boundaries. No amount of insecurities or teasing can tear apart when you truly love someone.

I actually met a friend some years back and this is a true story. Her parents are 17 years apart. 17 years......he was just early 20s and she was nearing 40s. He just started working, she was at the height of her career. This must have happened in 1960s, a time when it was almost unthinkable, imagine the protests from families, the shun from friends.....but they braved it thru. Got married, had kids and grew old together. The only thing is that at old age, the difference is really obvious. He is still strong and good looking at 50 but she is really getting old and wrinkled at 70. But again...love prevails.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely a bad idea to marry any guys younger than five years. My hubby is four years older than me but he got the youngish look during his 30s and I was the old lady with so many kids. Hellish, I tell you. Thank God, now that he is late fourties, he looks late fourties and no longer my di-di. If I live in Hollywood with implants, botox, liposuction and a shit load of money, then never mind ler...

Kamigoroshi said...

I don't think age really matters anyway. I've dated women 10 years older than myself and I know marriages where the guy is 20 years her junior and they work out well later on.

I just think that it's cultural stereotype that stands in the way of people thinking that this matters when it's a matter of whether or not two people a emotionally secure with one another. In retrospect, there are plenty of older men out there with minds of 18 year olds so really...I doubt looks really matter in that department.

Anonymous said...

Lilian - I can understand especially when the guy has the boyish look. Therefore it is important for women to upkeep, update, uplift!! More important, get the men to pay for it!! :)

Kamigoroshi - Older men with 18 yrs old minds? :)- I totally agree, I know many who just want to be a boy forever....kinda midlife crisis.