Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Can you tell your childhood friends that you are gay?

I am no expert in this topic but somehow I am intrigued to write about this as it just happened to a friend of mine.

I personally have many gay friends…some of them are even really good friends of mine. Most if not all, are friends that I got to know when I started working. Most of them are in the advertising line working as creative personnel, PR, graphic design etc. And I realized that I don’t know any gay friends from my school days.

Many are still discovering their sexuality in their teens, in school. I guess most decide “to come out of the closet” in their 20s after they started working. Therefore, there would be few from teenage school days that we get to know as openly gay.

I would think it is really hard for a gay person to meet back their old school friends and revealing their sexual orientation. They probably have not met for years and there would be just so must history that facing them would not be something that one desires.

So, I would think that other than family, the next bunch of people that are hard to face or hard to tell about your sexual orientation are your childhood friends.

This is story I heard recently. It happened to a friend’s friend. They are all great buddies from school. They hang out together, some even rented rooms together, they take holidays together, basically they are a “gang”. Over the course of 10-15 years, I would say they have been through much together, or least supported each other in different times of need. Some got married, most remained single and they were just were a “gang” throughout the years. They meet regularly and life is just cool to always have a “gang” to hang out with.

One of them is gay. After years of friendship, he never once mentioned it. It is hard. Hard to face up to family and friends that he has known all your life. He is worried about what they would think? How they would react? How would they treat him? Can they still be good friends?

But how long can he keep it from his closest friends? Especially when he has found someone special in his life. He want to be open to his friends, he wants his friends to accept him, his sexuality and importantly he wants his friends to accept his new found partner.

In this day and age, having a gay friend is no longer a taboo. It may not be easy to open up but sometimes you gotta just bite the bullet and say it. Be prepared for gossips behind your back. It would be too unrealistic to expect that your friends are not going to talk about you. They will and they will talk and talk and talk and talk. But they will get tired eventually and as time pass, I am sure things will be back to normal again.

Friendship Remains And Never Can End. FRANCE........remember that we use to write this in autographs?!! :)

1 comment:

Ummie said...

We accept people as they are. Good for them to be themselves rather than to be hypocrite. But I'm confused between gay and pondan. I know some are real but some just want to act real. Which is which?