Monday, September 15, 2008

My Best Friend's Wedding

I am sure all of us at one point or another have good friends from the opposite sex. Whether it is friends from high school, colleagues, or just friends you met along the way, there are some who have become more than acquaintances.

If you were both single, have you wondered how come both of you never got together?

I guess for some, you never ever considered your friend as a potential bf/gf. Friends are friends, they are not bf/gf material. Maybe it is also because you know them so well, eg. how nerdy they are, how bossy they are, that you never gave them a second thought. They are great as friends but nothing beyond.

Recently, one of my old university male friend got married. He has always been a good friend and whenever I need him, he is always willing to help. We may not keep in touch regularly but whenever we meet up, we still have a close friendship. While he is a nice guy, I have never considered him as a bf or husband material. He’s too nerdy, he is so unromantic, he is so square, he is rather boring – those were my impression of him as a boyfriend. Infact, most of my girlfriends also have the same impression thus never giving him a serious consideration.

He got married recently and he married a really lovely girl. They looked wonderful together and seem really suited for each other. After getting married, I somehow see him in a different light. He is such a caring husband, he seems so adventurous, he is very much THE PERFECT boyfriend/husband material. I wondered how come I did not see these qualities in him before.

My single girlfriends all agreed that he has all the eligible qualities now but unfortunately he is no longer eligible. It’s too late! He is taken!

So the question I have in my mind - does one appear more appealing once they are attached? :)

With this, I remember the movie My Best Friend’s Wedding starring Julia Robert. She went berserk when her best guy friend told her that he is in love and getting married. She freaked out and decided that she is in love with him and can’t let him go and went all out to spoil the wedding.

This movie is not my favorite love movie but I realize now sometimes the rock we have may seem just like any rock, but when someone else decides to take it, the rock becomes like a diamond and we wish we had noticed its shine in the first place.

Let me know your thoughts!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes, we just didn't wanna cross the line of friendship even though we know that he will make great bf. If the relationship screw up, u lose a great best friend. Not worth it.

Anonymous said...

no, one does not appear more appealing once they are attached. What is so appealing about the attached person is that we are finally seeing him doing all those little romantic gestures to the one he is in love with, thus forming an idea that he could be that perfect bf we have failed to see. As friends, I don't suppose the guy will go all out to please, but once they are in a relationship, even the nerdiest could come out with the most romantic gestures.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - yeah understand, that is the usual fear. Don't wan to lose a friend!

Anonymous - Agreed :)