Sunday, August 3, 2008

Blind Dates - The Good and The Ugly

I think I have been on 3 blind dates (at least the 3 that I remember). I was in my mid twenties, adventurous and ready to try anything. Also these guys came highly recommended by my friends and so I thot what the heck? Just go for it.

It turned out well. Guy No 1 - good-looking and pleasant. We had a good time, good conversations, good dinner. Too bad I can't remember anything about him now not even his face or even his name. Yup, I guess both of us were not interested, we had a good time, we parted and never saw each other again.

Guy No 2 - Nice guy. We dated again. He even asked me to be his date for his company function and he was like one of the young directors in the company and I was sitting on the main table. Luckily, I was dressed for the occasion. However, we just remain friends. No sparks.

Then I was in my early 30s. And that was when I made the mistake. I gave in to my mom!

So here my mom was trying her hand at a bit of match making. God forbid for a Chinese girl still not married in her 30s. Not her daughter, she just gotta do something!

So after months of totally selling her friend's son credentials to me.....errr...late 30s, very successful, lawyer, very good boy etc etc, I gave in.

Me - So, what's wrong with him?
Mom - Nothing, he is a very nice boy, very successful, making a lot of money.
Me - Have you met him?
Mom - No, but he is a very nice boy, very successful, making a lot of money.
Me - Are you sure there is nothing wrong with him? Why is he still not married?
Mom - Nothing, nothing, don't worry, he is a very nice boy , very successful, making a lot of money.
Me - He better not turn out to be a psycho, arghhh!! Ok, one date, ask him to call me.
Mom - Don't worry, he is a very nice boy, very successful, making a lot of money.

So, giving my mom's choice the benefit of the doubt, I went.

Hmmmm...how do I put it? I don't claim to be Miss Universe so I don't want to comment about looks. It is not fair. All I can say is that he wasn't what I expected.
He is just weird I guess, I can't describe it. I was just uncomfortable from the moment we said hello. But like I said earlier (in my earlier post - click here) I should at least go thru with the date.

So we went to a restaurant, I made sure I ordered my favourite dishes (hoping the date will be more bearable) but I was just uncomfortable and could not wait for it to be over. Then it happened. He saw a friend come in to the same restaurant, he looked uncomfortable. The friend came over and in a boisterous voice, talked to him. I can sense that they are not good friends from their sarcastic tone. Then the friend looked at me and introduce himself and then he said...pointing to my date - "Don't trust this guy. He is not what he seems!" He laughed and walked off.

WTF??? What was that about? My date then told me to ignore him saying they are collegues and apparently they have some rivalry going on. I was like...errrr ok. In my heart - "Get me out of here!!!!!"

I ate dinner quickly, gave a Oscar nominated performance of how busy I am and I have not finish an assignment by my boss and I have to go back soon to finish it. He tried to get me to have tea after dinner and I was literally grabbing my bag and saying goodbye...err..sorry sorry I have to go, I really really need to work tonight, bye bye thanks for dinner...nice meeting you....bye bye.

I never returned his calls or sms after that.

Maybe I was too fast to judge but I am definitely not going to wait around to find out whether he is psycho or not. Thanks a lot mom!

No comments: