Friday, August 1, 2008

Blind Dates - The Set Up!

Have you been on a blind date?

Some are ok with it, some would never do it, some say they were forced into and for some it is just about getting to know another new friend.

I think that blind dates are for cool people. If you are not cool about it, please don't do it. And never agree to do it and then turn around and say you were forced into it. It is so uncool. I say this especially for the guys cos I think guys who are cool about blind dates are pretty cool people. Of course, girls are super cool too.

So what do I mean on whether you are cool about blind dates? It means you do and act like you are on a date with actual date. Don't forget your manners just because you have not met the girl/guy before. Some people act funny and don't act at all only until they see their date's face and then decide whether they want to be cool or not.

I have been on blind dates before and luckily all the guys turned out to be really cool guys. I have rejected my friends' request for setting me up especially when I sense that the guy they are introducing are not cool about blind dates at all. For me, it is about getting to know a new friend, I am not interested in guys who are so pre-occupied and worried on whether their blind date will turn out to be a ugly fat monster or not.

So my cool blind dates usually turn out this way.

Friend informs she want to set me up with a guy friend. He is game for it. So I am cool too.
Friend will give him my number. He will call or text to make the arrangment. Actually all my blind dates call first. -

This process of the guy calling is so important! -
1) Firstly, it gives the feeling the guy is in control, kinda like he is asking the girl out.
2) Both feel comfortable cos you have chatted on the phone before.
3) Gives you opportunity to build some level of friendship before the date.

So technically it is not so awkward to meet or than the fact you have not lay eyes on each other before.

So, my advice to girls and guys out there who are considering a blind date. Be cool!
Friend who is setting them up - Make sure both boy and girl is well informed and both willing to go on a blind date. It is more awkward if one knows and the other don't.

Girls - remember to hint to your friend who is setting you up...."Give him my number and he can call me to make arrangement to meet up.

Guys - Get the girl's hp number please. Call her first, don't be afraid, girls are usually pretty friendly. Just introduce yrself and say friend's of XXX (the person introducing you).

At this point the girl should quickly respond by saying..Oh Hi!! How are you? or Good to hear from you! Please don't say - What's up??? It is so obvious he is calling to ask you out right!? Let him ask you naturally.

Guys - if you have nothing else to say just get straight to the point, it's ok (both are adults and both of you know you are being set up to go on a date right?!!). Just ask, so when are you free for dinner? Is this Friday good for you??...and then conversation will flow.....

So what happens when you meet up? ah ha...next posting...I have to dig my brain cells to remember how some of my blind dates went.....the good ones and the not so great ones :)

No comments: